Blog Archive

Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Real Donor Purchase!

The REAL Donor Purchase!

On 01/25/06 I committed to purchasing a FFR MKIII Roadster from Factory Five. Before the shipping date I really needed to know what year of donor vehicle I was going to use for my build. The parts in the kit are slightly different, depending on which donor vehicle is used. I thought I was going to use a 98 Mustang Cobra, but later decided to keep that car since it was in such good shape and could be used to more than double my invested money. So the search continued!

I finally found the perfect donor car listed on the Rene' Bates auction site, http://www.renebates.com/ . Rene' Bates runs auctions for numerous municipalities and counties including most of the DFW mid-cities and Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Hmmm, I have an aunt/uncle that live in Fort Lauderdale, I wonder what they would think about having a Mustang clunker in their driveway? naawww, guess I'll stick closer to home.

Back in February 06 I found an 89 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 on one of the Rene' Bates online auctions. This seemed like a natural for me! I've been playing around on eBay for years! As a matter of a fact I think I sort of motivated my Fort Lauderdale uncle into running an online eBay business. He now makes lots of money selling water logged and cart path golf balls. Okay, okay, he also restores, refinishes and sells PING Anser golf clubs. With the right kind of search you should be able to find some of his clubs for sale.

Anyway, back to the Mustang.. I purchased the 89 Mustang for $835.00 from the Hayes County Sheriff's Office on the Rene Bates web site. It was previously for undercover narcotics operations and according to the Hayes County Sheriff, the car runs like a top. That's part of the reason why it was being sold. The Sheriff said that the deputies kept burning up clutches, so he decided to sell it. When I got the car I found that the transmission was in the trunk along with a new clutch assembly. The car was apparently in the middle of having a new clutch put in it when the Sheriff decided enough was enough. The only thing I found missing from the car was the starter.

Yeah the hood's bent, but just look at those rear tail lights. I can get $20.00 a piece for those on www.dfwstangs.net!

Coming soon, "Donor Vehicle Tear Down!"