Blog Archive

Friday, April 21, 2006

Donor Vehicle Purchased, ALMOST!


Well if you read my first BLOG entry you probably remember that I mentioned that along with ordering the FFR MKIII Roadster Kit, I needed to purchase a "donor car."
The donor car can be pretty much any Mustang or Mustang Cobra from 1988-2004. I was leaning towards finding an older 5.0 Mustang but was having problems finding anything that fit my needs. Best case scenario is finding an old wrecked Mustang (obviously if it's wrecked, it was running before it crashed, thus it would likely have a good running engine and drivetrain) While looking around local auction web sites I ran across an advertisement for a U.S. Marshall's Office Auction over in Fort Worth, Texas. They had a photo attached to the advertisement which was primarily advertising the fact that an 04 Corvette with custom flame paint job was going to be auctioned along with some Jet Ski's. In the background of the photo I could see what appeared to be a 98 Cobra! Oh yeah, 300+ horsepower, Cobra brakes, 4.6 DOHC mean screamin engine, high re-sell value of the Cobra parts that I didn't need for my FFR car! I could hardly wait for the auction. When auction day came, I drove over to north Fort Worth and registered for my first car auction. I located the Cobra and found that it had some minor body damage which didn't make any difference to me since I needed what was under the body for my Factory Five Roadster. Ahh ohhh, I wasn't able to get the hood up and when I asked the kid at the auction, he said that he couldn't get the hood up, the car wouldn't start and he didn't know what was wrong with it. After talking with the kid I noticed that he didn't exactly seem to know much about cars and he then mentioned that he's the one that preps the cars for auction. I also found that most of the other people at the auction were at the auction to bid on the Corvette and Jet Ski's! Another great thing happened next.. The Cobra was the second vehicle to be auctioned. In my opinion most of the people at the auction wanted to save their money so they could bid on the Jet Ski's and Corvette, so after a VERY short period of time I decided to gamble and purchased my Cobra for $3650.00! I had already done my homework and knew that a running 98 Cobra could be sold for $10,000+!! It would be one heck of a deal IF I could get the car running.

After towing the car home, as Hands would say on Boston Legal, "BINGO!" I put a new battery in the car and it fired right up!

Ahhh ohhhh..

After getting the car started and then after driving the rocket ship of a car, I was hooked! The car was way fun to drive! I couldn't tear this car apart, especially after remembering that I could sell the car and more than double my money! I just found a way to pay for almost half of my $13,000 FFR MKIII Roadster kit!


As of today I still have the 1998 Ford Mustang Cobra, but still plan on selling it and making some money on the deal! I just need to find some time to fix a couple of minor things on the car so I can hopefully get top dollar.